background

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Marbled [Easter] Eggs!

Marbled [Easter] Eggs! AKA dinosaur eggs!!


I saw this on pinterest (of course) and HAD to try it!! I have an Easter deviled egg platter so I always make deviled eggs this time of year. We were having a little brunch at work today so I thought it would be the perfect time to try the marbled eggs. They turned out AWESOME and my coworkers and I have decided they should be called dinosaur eggs…since that’s what we think they look like. I will definitely make my eggs like this from now on…because it’s so fun! I mean, really, how perfect would these be for kids?! OR adults…as I’m a big kid myself.


The blog that these eggs came from is narcissism is necessary and she has step-by-step pictures. I was lazy last night and didn’t do step-by-step pics….so if you want to see it go to her blog and check it out.

Marbled Eggs (new name = Dinosaur eggs)
Source: narcissism is necessary

What you need:
Eggs
Food coloring
Water
White vinegar
Sandwich bags

Step 1: put eggs in pot of water, bring to boil, and boil for 7 minutes.

Step 2: After eggs have boiled for 7 minutes turn off the heat and leave eggs to cool in the water for 5 minutes.

Step 3: After eggs have cooled for 5 minutes, remove the eggs and let them cool for an additional hour. (I just put mine in a bowl to cool)

Step 4: After the eggs have cooled for 30 minutes, gently tap or roll the eggs against a hard surface (countertop, etc) until cracks are all over the eggs. You want the shells cracked but still intact.

Step 5: Place your egg(s) into a sandwich bag and add a few drops (roughly a tablespoon) of food coloring.

Step 6: Roll the eggs around in the sandwich bag until they are coated with the dye. Leave eggs in the bags for 30 minutes to allow the color to absorb.


Step 7: After the eggs have been in the bag for 30 minutes, rinse the eggs under water to remove excess dye. Then splash the eggs with white vinegar (this makes the color set). Use a paper towel to dry the eggs.

Step 8: Peel off the shell and BOOM! Awesome eggs! :)


My deviled eggs-

Remove yolk(s) and put in a bowl. Mash yolks completely. Add cheddar cheese. Mix in mayo (I use Light Dukes)…a generous spoonful, a little mustard…few squirts, and some relish. Mix together well and pipe or spoon mixture into the egg whites.

No comments: